Thursday, May 30, 2013

To be Cheap or Not at Weddings

I have a distant relative's wedding that is coming up on June 8th, which is less than two weeks. Even though I am really looking forward to seeing my cousins from my dad's side of the family again after all these years, I am feeling some dread about it.

It's hard to be frugal when it comes to a relative's wedding, even if it's a distant one... especially when the relative comes from a culture that asks for money gifts for the wedding. When I asked what is appropriate to give as the money gift, I was informed that it should be at least $100 per head...at minimum. I am sure it's going to be a great wedding and I really do wish the best for the couple but I just didn't have the heart (or guts) to say that I really can't afford that much.

I get paid tomorrow but I will have to put 99% of that paycheck towards my June Mortgage payment and HOA fees. I'm pretty tight on money each money with the tenant and lawyer issues. This $200 (for two people) money gift for this wedding is going to force me to live off my credit cards for the next two weeks since tomorrow's paycheck will be gone in a flash with bills.

I am excited about seeing everyone there though and at least, that is something to be happy about while I, yet again, try to keep up with the Joneses.

On a side note, my total debt is currently at $10,656. Not much down from a few months ago but considering what I  have been going through, I'm glad I was able to pay down even a small amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment