Thursday, December 01, 2005

My Way of Charitable Giving?

So far, I have only managed to do one form of charitable giving in the recent years. (If you don't count volunteering/slave labor to help serve/cook free food for the masses at the community gatherings.) But hey, it's a start, right? And, it's truly a charitable giving with no tax benefits derived from such givings.

For the past couple of years, I've been contributing $30 per month ($360/year) to my grandaunt's household fund. Basically, the money fund is to help her keep house and help with the living/medical expenses...basically, to survive. My brother and two of my cousin sisters all contribute the same amount each month, bringing the total amount to $1,440 per year. It's not much at all but it's something if you live in a third world country like she does. She lives in Burma, is ~80 years old, and has no source of income except for 300 Burmese Kyats per month she gets from the burmese government as her pension. The currency exchange rate is approximately at $ 1 US dollar to 1,400 Bumese Kyats. So, she gets around about 21 Cents a month as her pension from the government. Talk about a lovely retirement.

I won't lie and say that $30 per month post-tax has been nothing to me. I did feel it abit going out especially when I was making approximately $25,000 per year in salary. But, I am so happy that I can do this small thing for her, and hope to help out more soon....To the lady, who gave me 25 Cents a month when I was always the only kid with no pocket money!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:12 AM

    Wow Poe! That is so great that you have the opportunity to help your Grandmother like that. As you mention it not only feels great for you, but I am sure your Grandmother also feels the love and care those monthly checks represent from her family.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sounds like the best kind of charitable giving you can do. And it sounds like it makes a big difference in her life.

    ReplyDelete